What to do to get ready for your Operation
- The patient should bathe or shower the evening before the scheduled operation.
- Tie up long hair in elastics without metal parts.
- Remove make-up, nail polish or jewellery prior to coming to the hospital.
- May eat as usual until midnight the night prior to the operation.
- Nothing to eat or drink after midnight the night prior to the operation.
- Give child 4 ounces of apple juice or water four hours prior to the time of the operation. Wake your child if necessary.
- No solids or milk products after midnight including breast milk.
- Give child 4 ounces of apples juice or water four hours prior to the time of
the operation. Wake your child if necessary.
Please report to the Admitting Department at the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre.
- If patient is on puffers (for asthma), bring them with you, even if they are used infrequently.
- If patient is on medication that is regularly taken, please bring the medication to the hospital with you (ie. Degoxin, Aldactazide).
- Two adults are allowed to accompany the patient to the Operating Room.
- Parents are asked to wait on the Paediatric Unit for the patient to return from the Operating Room.
- It is recommended that two adults are available to take the patient home.