Department of Spiritual and Religious Care at Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences
Centre is a multifaceted service which responds to the spiritual and religious
needs of patients, families and staff of TBRHSC. We have two full-time chaplains
at the Sciences Centre.
You can request a visit from our Chaplain by notifying your nurse or leaving
a message on our voice mail at 684-6235 or 684-6236.
Emergency support is available from the Chaplain and/or community clergy. In
an emergency, ask a nurse to call your clergy, or page the Chaplain, On-call
Clergy, or On-call Roman Catholic Priest.
Community Clergy/Faith Group Leaders:
All are welcome to visit their members. If you want to be visited by clergy
of a specific faith and need assistance in contacting them, your nurse or the
Chaplain can assist you.
The Multi-Faith Centre is available for prayer and for solitude twenty-four
hours a day. It can be found on the second floor above the cafeteria. Devotional
material is available there.
- Operate with a multifaith and multicultural approach
- Link with community clergy/faith group leaders
- Facilitate the provision of Sacramental ministry
- Oversee the Multi-Faith Centre
- Provide in-patient visitation
- Provide 24 hr. Emergency coverage
- Provide Trauma, debriefing and counseling to staff, patients and community
- Co-ordinate on-call clergy coverage by clergy volunteers
- Provide palliative care and bereavement
- Provide community education related to spiritual care (ie. Hospice Northwest, NECAH, Ontario Regional Multifaith, Anishinabe Mushkiki, Nipigon Hospital)
- Serve as representatives on community groups (Council of Clergy, Northwest Ontario Pastoral Institute, and Hospice Northwest)
- Serve on hospital teams such as the Ethics Team, Professional Practice Team, Quality of Worklife Team, and the Patient Care Management Team
- Provide Clinical Pastoral Education for those interested in developing skills in pastoral ministry
Further information regarding spiritual care may be
found at the Ontario Multifaith
Spiritual and Religious Care
Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre
980 Oliver Road
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Fax: (807) 684-5831