Workers are members of interdisciplinary health care teams
at Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre providing service
to patients, family members and staff.
A doctor, nurse, the patient, family member or friend can make a referral to social work.
Hospital Social Workers are professionally trained, university graduates. They are members of The Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers.
- Medical/Surgical Units
- Oncology Unit
- Cardiology Unit
- Maternal Child: Obstetrics/Paediatrics
- Critical Care
- Counselling: to help you cope with illness/disease, high risk social situations, addictions, mental health issues, crisis intervention, assault/violence, trauma, life transition issues, bereavement and palliative care
- Psychosocial Assessments: interviews with individual/parent/family/spouse/partner or significant other, liaise with community agencies, consult with interdisciplinary team members
- Advocacy: work with individuals/families within the hospital and community systems to access supports and services as required.
- Education: primarily for patients/family members/groups
- Discharge Planning: liaising, locating resources, facilitating referrals, assist in long term placement
Dr. Scott Sellick
Director Supportive Care Services